23.09.2008

Betcha, You Won't Catcha!

A couple of months ago, I read Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time", not because I'm interested in Physics or Black Holes in particular but because I didn't have anything else to read at that time and because I was always curious if I'd understand what he has to say. Surprisingly, the reading and comprehension of his literary work wasn't all that difficult. I'm sure there is more to the matter and I'm not in any way able to explain Quark theory but I did get a notion of "whatever holds/The world together in its inmost folds,/See all its seeds, its working power".

What I found most curious was Hawking's fondness for bets. Several times throughout the book, he mentioned that he betted with this and that scientist about the outcome of an experiment or theory. Today, I found an article stating that Hawking Bets Collider Won't Find 'God Particle'

I find it utmost refreshing that this great mind never lost his sense of humor.